Thursday, July 30, 2020

The final test

PET/CT scan today. The same location and (apparent) machinery as the full body scan. However, a different dye that did not require a full hour to do its thing. This one .. just 4 minutes, versus 90 minutes for the previous. If nothing else, it tells me they are to a point of injecting me with something that is significantly more powerful to figure out what is going on. When you are dealing with the nuclear medicine department of one of the most advanced medical institutes on this planet, that tells you something.

The purpose of the scan was to get a closer look at what is going on with the bones. The purpose (as far as I can tell) is to get a more detailed look at the "hot spots" on my ribs. (Hot spots, from what I can determine, is where they believe cancer may have spread from the prostrate based upon some unusual pattern that emerged in the previous body scan).

The part of this process that I cannot put aside are the words from the previous discussion with Dr. Sonn: "nobody wants to be in this spot, given that this has most likely "spread beyond the prostate". The "most likely" phrase is what weighs heaviest on me. He is a man of science, working in one of the top medical institutions in the world. He would not say this without thought. It makes me pray for the best, but be prepared for what is most likely to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment